An Oscars-themed playlist to get you ready for Hollywood’s big night

Vestron Pictures/Courtesy

Believe it or not, Oscar weekend is upon us. Whether you’ve seen every film on the nomination list or are wondering what in the world the Oscars are, we at the Clog want to make sure you are prepared for Hollywood’s big night. At this point in time no one has the time to watch all the nominated films, but an Oscars-themed playlist can help catch you up and get you in the mood!

The easiest way to catch up on this year’s nominated movies is to listen to the songs that have been nominated for this year’s Best Original Song award.

“Stand Up” from Harriet– Cynthia Erivo

This rousing ballad from the biographical drama about Harriet Tubman is sure to clearly convey the inspiring message of the film without the need to set your eyes on a screen.

“Into the Unknown” from Frozen II– Idina Menzel and Aurora

Although it didn’t gain as much popularity as “Let it Go” from the first Frozen movie, this song is similarly uplifting. Panic at the Disco also has a version of this song that plays during the end credits of the movie.

“I’m Standing With You” from Breakthrough — Chrissy Metz

This touching song comes from the Christian drama film about a family’s ordeal surrounding their son’s near-drowning experience in a frozen lake in St. Louis. 

“I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away” from Toy Story 4 — Randy Newman

Nothing might hold the same sentimental value for us as “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from the original Toy Story movie, but Randy Newman continues to bring out the little kid within all of us in this song from the final installment of the series.

“(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” from Rocketman– Elton John and Taron Egerton

A movie about Elton John, one of the most iconic figures in pop history, would be incomplete without a soundtrack full of his most beloved hits. This song, however, was written originally for the movie and will excite Elton John fans everywhere. 

In case those songs don’t do it for you, listening to some iconic songs that are featured in past movies will pump you up and get you in the zone for the big night. This is by no means a comprehensive list, but it’s a good place to start!

1. (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing — Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
  2. Kiss from a Rose from Batman Forever — Seal
  3. Don’t You (Forget About Me) from The Breakfast Club — Simple Minds
  4. 9 to 5 from 9 to 5 — Dolly Parton
  5. La Bamba from La Bamba — Ritchie Valens

Happy listening!

Contact Beatrice Aronson at [email protected].