National Pizza Day, I cheese you: The Clog’s guide to local pizza

Audrey McNamara/File

Carbs and cheese? It was National Pizza Day yesterday, and we at the Clog are here to help you celebrate by providing a guide to some of Berkeley’s best pizzerias. Prepare to indulge in extraordinarily cheesy and flavorful pizzas. Our mouths are already watering just thinking about it! I mean, who doesn’t love pizza?

The Cheese Board Collective

1512 Shattuck Ave.

Located on Northside, Cheese Board is by far our favorite pizza joint. It only serves one kind of pizza per day, and it always varies, but they’re all equally delicious. All the pizzas are vegetarian, and it offers gluten-free friendly and vegan options as well, so no one is left out! The crust is thin, and it’s just the right amount of cheesy. It’s a pretty light pizza, so don’t be surprised if you end up eating the entire thing. We’re not judging!

Sliver Pizzeria 

2468 Telegraph Ave. and 2174 Shattuck Ave.  

Sliver is a classic for UC Berkeley students. With two convenient locations near campus, Sliver is always popping! Similar to Cheese Board, Sliver specializes in vegetarian pizzas and only serves one kind per day. If you’re a fan of thin crusts, then this is the place for you.

Zachary’s Chicago Pizza 

1853 Solano Ave.

If you haven’t been to Zachary’s, did you really visit Berkeley? Zachary’s is one of the most famous pizzerias in Berkeley and specializes in two types of pizzas, its stuffed Chicago-style pizza and its thin-crust pizza. The deep-dish pizza is by far the more popular. It consists of a thin layer of the house-made pizza dough filled with the highest quality cheese and an assortment of delicious toppings covered with another layer of thin dough, topped off with even more cheese and sauce. The Zachary’s Special and Mediterranean pizzas are some of our favorites!

Lucia’s Berkeley

2016 Shattuck Ave.

Are you looking for delicious wood-fired Neapolitan pizza? Look no further! Lucia’s pizzas have a killer crust that consists of the perfect combination of soft, fluffy and crispy. The restaurant serves a variety of different pizzas that will satisfy everyone’s taste buds. We recommend trying the classic Margherita pizza. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, check out the incredibly delicious Vegan Farmer’s Daughter, complete with Brussels sprouts, pickled cauliflower, cashew mozzarella and wood-fire roasted bell peppers.

Artichoke Basille’s Pizza 

2590 Durant Ave.

By far, one of the juiciest and cheesiest pizzas we’ve ever had. Artichoke Basille’s serves the fastest slices on our list! Unlike the other pizzerias we’ve mentioned, one slice of Artichoke’s pizza will definitely fill you up. The crust is more crispy than doughy, but we’re not complaining! Our favorite is the classic artichoke pizza. If you’re looking for a tomato sauce-style slice, the meatball and Margherita pizzas are equally scrumptious.

So which pizzeria will you cheese to go to this National Pizza Day? Maybe even check them all out! The possibilities are endless on this magical day. 

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected]