Please don’t hit us: A letter to electric skateboard and scooter riders

Paolo Harris Paz/Staff

Dear electric skateboard and scooter riders,

We hear the buzz of your devices. We notice your intimidating speed. We feel the wind whizzing past our bodies as you zoom by. For those of us walking, biking, skateboarding and riding scooters the old-fashioned way, we understand the utility of your modes of transportation. It’s the year 2020, and we appreciate this technological advancement. We are living in the imagined future, and it feels amazing.

At this point in the human timeline, we have created some pretty neat technology. Aside from the expensive price tags, the electric skateboard and scooter make up some of the most helpful innovations for college students. As students find themselves rushing from class to class, these boards and scooters help speed up the process. 

While we can appreciate these two modes of transportation, however, there are times when pedestrian lives feel endangered. The way that some riders ride makes the possibility of implementing crosswalks and stop signs on campus seem more realistic every day. This risky riding is something that seems to be increasing every week. 

Nonriders do not want to fear getting pummeled by the quickness of your speed. Nonriders do not want to feel on edge walking around campus with the threat of being whacked by a board looming over their shoulders. To put it plain and simple, nonriders do not want to get hit.

So, before anything too regrettable happens, we’re making this single request publicly: please do not hit us, electric skateboard and scooter riders. This hasn’t been a huge problem in the past, but the popularity of these modes of transportation is increasing day by day. We say this now hoping to bring awareness to this fear. Pedestrians and nonriders don’t want to dodge you or get struck down.  Let us eliminate this fear by having reassurance that riders will acknowledge this request.

Despite relieving some apprehensions through this letter, what remains is action. Hopefully, the message will be well-received and UC Berkeley will not have to implement extra safety measures on campus in response to the increase of electric skateboard and scooter users.

That is all we have to say at this time. Well, that and more electric scooter and skateboard riders need to wear helmets. Now, that about sums it up. Have a brilliant day and watch for us next time you’re zooming through campus.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if any of you readers (riders or nonriders) have qualms.

Sincerely,

The Clog

Contact Gina Wright [email protected].