BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 21, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Outdoor Supply Hardware store opens in southwest Berkeley

VANESSA LIM | STAFF

FEBRUARY 10, 2020

The Outdoor Supply Hardware store opened Jan. 8 at Ashby Plaza in southwest Berkeley.

The opening fills a need for a community-based hardware store and takes a “neighbor helping neighbor” approach, according to the Berkeley location general manager, Sean Wally. Outdoor Supply Hardware sells various tools and gardening supplies while emphasizing customer service.

“I wish all the neighborhood (to) … know that we’re back, that they don’t have to commute all the way to Emeryville or to Downtown Berkeley,” Wally said. “Just let us know what you need, and we’ll get it. Even if we don’t have it on the shelf, we’ll order it for you.”

The store is located at 1025 Ashby Ave. and is open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, with reduced hours Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The Berkeley store currently has 39 employees and plans to hire more seasonally, according to Wally. Like its customers, most of the store’s employees are Berkeley locals who live within walking distance.

Outdoor Supply Hardware is owned by Central Network Retail Group, or CNRG. Outdoor Supply is one of 16 brands the company owns, and both the Outdoor Supply Hardware and CNRG websites emphasize the importance of serving the local community.

The store is in the same location where Orchard Supply Hardware was before it closed about one year ago. In May 2019, CNRG announced it will be opening seven additional Outdoor Supply Hardware stores, all in locations that were previously operated by Orchard Supply. In California, Outdoor Supply Hardware has other locations in Napa, Capitola and Moraga, with a fourth opening soon in San Jose.

“We sell almost everything Home Depot and hardware stores sell,” Wally said. “From how to fix your house to how to build your house.”

Contact Taylor Rudman at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @TaylorRudman.

FEBRUARY 10, 2020