Berkeley experiences 10 power outages Sunday, 5,000 without power

Flickr/Creative Commons

Berkeley experienced nearly 10 individual power outages Sunday, leaving about 5,000 PG&E customers in Berkeley without power.

The series of outages was caused by wind storms in the area and flying debris, according to PG&E spokesperson Tamar Sarkissian. These wind storms began early Sunday morning and persisted throughout the day and into Monday. Overall, 400,000 PG&E customers were affected by the outages, all of whom have since had their power restored.

Gusts reached about 90 mph in some mountainous regions, while they exceeded 50 mph in flatlands. Within Alameda County, winds reached 62 mph.

Although the winds and associated outages affected thousands of PG&E customers and the winds neared those experienced in October, the threshold for a Public Safety Power Shutoff, or PSPS, was not met. More specifically, the region was not at risk of wildfire danger because fuel and soil moisture remained at a high enough level, according to a PG&E press release.

During the series of outages, PG&E activated about 17 emergency shelters, while its crews were tasked with facilitating restoration in the areas most severely affected.

“As crews were called to locations where outages had occurred, they found damage including hundreds of downed spans of power lines and dozens of broken poles, crossarms and transformers,” the press release read.

Check back for updates. 

Mallika Seshadri is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.