UC Berkeley updates Smoke and Tobacco-Free Campus Policy to include more prohibited means of smoking

Zainab Ali/File

UC Berkeley recently updated its Smoke and Tobacco-Free Campus Policy, which now had an extended list of prohibited means of smoking on campus property.

According to a campuswide email announcing the change, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, snuff, snus, water pipes, pipes, hookahs, chews, unregulated electronic nicotine delivery systems and all other non-combustible tobacco products are now explicitly prohibited at all indoor and outdoor spaces owned or leased by campus. The new policy went into account on Jan. 1.

The change was the result of a collaboration between University Health Services, or UHS, and the UC Office of the President. The original policy which first made the campus a smoke and tobacco-free space was implemented in 2014, according to the email.

The email also stated that a part of the new policy is offering students who are trying to quit smoking resources to end their addiction. The student group, Breathe at Berkeley, is also continuing to work on ways to limit tobacco usage.

The email ended with a warning about the dangers of vaping with e-cigarettes.

“Thank you for your participation in making our campus a healthier environment,” Assistant Vice Chancellor of UHS Guy Nicolette said in the email.

Kate Finman is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.