How to get the least out of your 3-day weekend

Illustration of a black woman sleeping in bed, with a digital clock reading 3:04 pm
Olivia Staser/File

Presidents Day is Monday, which means there’s a three-day weekend coming up. There are plenty of things you can do with the extra free time. You could do that thing you’ve always wanted to try or get away on a short vacation. However, that can be a lot of work. Sometimes the stress of trying to get the most out of a weekend ruins the fact that it’s supposed to be time off. In light of this, here are some tips for getting the least out of your three-day weekend.

Sleep

The easiest way to waste time is to just sleep. You can’t do anything productive while you’re sleeping. Whether it’s just sleeping in every morning or taking long naps, you can’t go wrong getting some shut-eye. Leave all those annoying alarms behind and let yourself enjoy the fact that you don’t have to be anywhere or do anything.

Watch a show you’ve already seen

There’s so much to watch these days, but there’s always something nice in just watching something you’ve seen a million times before. There’s no need to binge all of it (because you already know what happens) nor do you need to come up with some new hot take about it so you can talk about the show with your friends. Instead, you can just sit back and enjoy something familiar while maybe even having a new appreciation for it.

Get schoolwork done ahead of time

Your classes might be the biggest obstacle in not doing anything over your three-day weekend. Papers, studying or even just normal homework might get assigned, so it seems you have to do at least some of it over your weekend. The only way to combat this is to get done as much as you can ahead of time. It may be rough and busy during the rest of the week, but at least your three-day weekend will be work-free.

Avoid plans

Chances are, at least some of your friends already have plans for this three-day weekend. Since they’re friends, they’ll probably invite you to some of them. If you want to get the least out of your weekend, do not accept any of these invitations. Tell them that you want to focus on yourself over the weekend. Also, if you are the type to come up with plans for a long weekend, then try to steer yourself away. You don’t want to get accidentally stressed by coming up with last-minute plans you feel you have to follow.

Enjoy the moment

The best way to enjoy getting the least out of your three-day break is to live in the moment. Appreciate your surroundings and enjoy the feeling of not having to do anything for the rest of the day. Try not to dwell on the fact that you probably have a few papers or midterms coming up. If you get stuck thinking about what you should be doing, you’ll have a hard time enjoying your free time.

Three-day weekends aren’t meant to be stressful. Hopefully, these tips will help you do absolutely nothing and just relax. After all, there’s no shame in getting the least out of your weekend.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .