Bringing warmth to your chilly days: A chicken soup recipe

Summer Kailani/Staff

The winter months are almost over, but that doesn’t mean the cold weather in Berkeley is letting up anytime soon! To cope with the dismal weather, here’s a healthy and comforting chicken soup recipe that’s perfect for when you need that extra “oomph.” It’s packed with flavor, so your tastebuds will be more than satisfied. Add a few crackers, grab a blanket and enjoy the warmth of this soup on a frigid day.

Ingredients:

• 2 packets of diced organic raw chicken breast
  • 2 cups chopped celery
  • 2 cups chopped carrots
  • ½ onion
  • ½ cup parsley
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 sprigs of rosemary
  • 2 tbsp dried thyme
  • 1 large diced sweet potato
  • 64 ounces vegetable broth
  • 1 cup frozen peas (or any of your favorite frozen veggies!)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

In a large pan, start by sautéing the carrots, celery, chicken breast, onion and parsley in olive oil. Add the salt and pepper, and keep stirring on low heat until the spices are fragrant and the chicken is fully cooked. Next, add in the vegetable broth and sweet potato and simmer for approximately one hour, or until the sweet potato is soft. Add in the frozen vegetables and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Finally, serve and enjoy!

This soup will leave you feeling warm and soothed after a long day of walking to classes in the cold. It also works great for meal prep if you’re hoping to get the most out of your time spent in the kitchen. Just portion the soup out into single-serving containers for a quick and healthy on-the-go lunch, or you can freeze a couple to always have a meal ready to heat in minutes!

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].