BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 07, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Berkeley homeowners can receive $3,000 rebate for seismic upgrades

VANESSA LIM | FILE

FEBRUARY 19, 2020

Incentives from the Earthquake Brace and Bolt, or EBB, program will provide Berkeley homeowners the opportunity to apply for a $3,000 rebate for seismic upgrades on their house’s foundations starting Wednesday.

The EBB program is offering the rebate for owner-occupied single-family residences and small multifamily buildings of one to four units, according to city spokesperson Matthai Chakko. He added that the city hopes to help spread awareness about the program and encourage Berkeley residents to apply.

“We live in earthquake country,” Chakko said. “We want as many homes to be prepared for potential earthquakes as possible, and this program provides some money to help people get those improvements made.”

Over 340 Berkeley homeowners have received EBB rebates since 2016, creating over $1 million in state funding to Berkeley residents, according to a city press release.

There is no set cap on the number of residents who can apply for the rebate, according to Chakko. It is encouraged, however, that residents complete the retrofitting on their homes once they receive the rebate.

“It’s a relatively straightforward path to get a home bolted and braced,” Chakko said. “I know there are people who are appreciative that this is a program that can alleviate that stress.”

The city of Berkeley is hosting a workshop Feb. 27, during which community members can learn more about the EBB program and the opportunities it provides for California residents, according to Chakko.

Residents will hear from many people at the workshop, including city assistant building official David Lopez and Berkeley residents who have already received seismic upgrades, according to the city press release.

EBB staff declined to comment as of press time.

“The more homes that are protected during an earthquake, the more resilient the city is,” Chakko said. “As many people that can stay in their homes in the aftermath of an earthquake, the better off the city will be.”

Contact Olivia Buccieri at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @obuccieri_dc‏.

FEBRUARY 19, 2020