BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Let's get fit: The best workout classes near UC Berkeley

NIRVANA ELLABOUDY | STAFF

FEBRUARY 19, 2020

It can be tough enough trying to balance a busy college schedule with a fitness routine. Not to mention finding a routine you like — and sticking to it! Taking a few of your favorite group fitness classes is a great way to simultaneously have fun and socialize while exercising in a pressure-free environment. Here are our top picks for the best group workout classes in the Bay Area. Try one, or try them all, but most importantly, have fun in the process!

SoulCycle

SoulCycle isn’t just a killer cardio workout: it also feels like you’re going to a dance party! Inspiring instructors will pair killer cycling workouts with coordinated dance moves that work with the beat of the music. While SoulCycle can be notorious for its high prices, it finally came out with a student discount: pay $22 per class (instead of the usual $32), or buy 5 classes for $105!

Barry’s Bootcamp

Next time you feel like taking a day trip to San Francisco, why not hit up a challenging Barry’s Bootcamp class before grabbing brunch? Barry’s uses a combination of running intervals and strength training, which provides the ultimate well-rounded workout.

Rumble

Rumble is famous for its killer boxing and strength training classes! It even recently inaugurated one of its new workout concepts in the Bay Area called Rumble Training, a workout that combines treadmill sprints with killer weight circuits. Whether you’re looking to box out your stress or for CrossFit-style classes, Rumble now offers both.

Hella Yoga

Located only a few blocks from campus, Hella Yoga is a UC Berkeley hallmark! It has fantastic student discounts and gives killer hot Pilates and hot yoga classes. It’s the best way to warm up after a long (and cold!) day on campus. Just remember to bring a mat and have a good time.

Funky Door Yoga

For traditional Bikram yoga lovers, Funky Door Yoga is the studio for you! It follows the traditional 26-posture sequence designed by Bikram Choudhury himself, and the classes are conducted in swelteringly hot temperatures — you’re going to sweat a LOT. Don’t say we didn’t warn you, and bring a towel.

Yoga to the People

Another quintessential Berkeley outpost, Yoga To The People, hosts multiple invigorating Vinyasa yoga classes a day. It bases its classes on a donation system. So, $12 per class is recommended, but you pay what you can afford. Bonus: the yoga studio shares a space with a delicious plant-based café, so you can grab a wholesome bite to eat after your yoga session!

RSF Group Classes

Last, but certainly not least, are the much-loved group fitness classes at the dear old campus gym. A membership (with all classes included!) is part of your UC Berkeley tuition, so take advantage and check out the daily workout schedule on the group exercise website. Cardio dance is an RSF classic!

We hope you enjoyed this comprehensive list of the best places to get your sweat on in Berkeley. Remember, if going to the gym alone isn’t your cup of tea, there are tons of options for getting a group workout near campus! All you have to do is turn to this list, close your eyes, pick a random spot and try it out! You never know, you might just find a new favorite workout class!

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].

FEBRUARY 19, 2020