UC Berkeley community responds to Chancellor Carol Christ’s statement on commitment to safety

Emma Drake/Staff

UC Berkeley Chancellor Carol Christ released a statement to the campus community Feb. 25 regarding the campus’s commitment to safety while also reminding students of safety resources on campus.

Christ noted that she has heard “too many” concerns regarding student safety this semester from incidents around campus, which have left students feeling “unsafe and alienated” from the UC Berkeley community. The message included a condemnation of any acts invoking unsafe conditions, as well as a list of campus resources to address safety matters.

“Our campus responds when individuals report being subjected to physical assault, harassment, and all threats to their person, and determines whether threats are actionable,” Christ said in the statement. “I encourage any victim of this kind of conduct to report the incident to UCPD and the Center for Student Conduct.”

Students and alumni responded to the statement on the Overheard at UC Berkeley Facebook page, citing incidents during which they felt that such resources did not uphold proper safety response measures.

Alumnus Daniel Higgins posted his response on the Facebook page alleging that campus resources have not worked as intended.

“I’ve called ucpd multiple times during my years at cal and not once did they take me seriously enough to even listen to the concern or complaint,” Higgins alleged in the Facebook post.

Higgins alleged that UCPD did not respond to a physical assault incident he experienced during his time on campus.

Comments on the post furthered allegations against UC Berkeley for not properly following up on incidents that happened on campus, including thefts and physical assaults.

The primary hopes of the message is clearly enunciated: that all of us will understand and uphold our Principles of Community and that every member of the UC Berkeley community will work to sustain a safe, caring and humane environment in which these values – and each of us – can thrive, feel safe, and be safe,” said campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof in an email.

Contact Nat Gott at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @natgott_dc.