BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Bay Area vacation: 5 activities to do during spring break if you're staying in Berkeley

KELLY FONG | STAFF

MARCH 03, 2020

We’re just a few weeks away from a week of freedom. Some of us will be living the typical spring break experience by partying in Cabo San Lucas or Cancún, while some will be spending a wholesome time with friends and family at home or even in Berkeley. For those of us that live thousands of miles away, it’s not all that feasible to travel those miles just to be home for only a week. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have an enjoyable spring break in Berkeley! There is so much to do in and around this city, and the weeklong break will finally give you the opportunity to explore. Here are just some of the activities you can fill your spring break with in the Bay Area!

Mini road trip

There are many cities around Berkeley that you can explore besides San Francisco! From Santa Cruz to Monterey to Half Moon Bay, you can spend a day or two in these cities just exploring their downtown areas and going on scenic hikes. It will definitely be a relaxing time. Rent a Gig and head on over!

The Great San Francisco Corn Dog Festival

Do you love corn dogs? If the answer is yes, then you’ll surely love this festival. With more than 10 vendors serving deliciously battered, crispy and unique corn dogs, you can definitely spend an entire day here stuffing your stomach to its fullest. There will be various kinds of corn dogs, from cheesy ones to corn dogs wrapped in crispy bacon! We’re salivating just thinking about it! On March 21 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., hit up SoMa StrEat Food Park in San Francisco for a delicious time.

SF Holi 2020

Celebrate the Indian festival of colors with San Francisco’s largest color festival. SF Holi takes place March 28 from noon to 4 p.m. There will be live Bollywood beats, food trucks and a ton of different colors that you’ll be able to toss and smear on yourself and those around you! Grab a couple of your friends and head to SF Holi this spring break!

Elephant seal guided walks

Elephant seals are one of the most fascinating creatures out there. Año Nuevo State Park, which is about 90 minutes from Berkeley, offers elephant seal guided walks! You’ll be able to witness these gigantic creatures up close in their natural habitat. It’s something everyone should experience at least once! Make sure to reserve your spot beforehand. The tour is about $11, but it’s worth every penny!

Hiking and beaches

There are so many hiking trails and beaches in the Bay Area. If you’re looking for a relaxing spring break, we highly recommend that you check them out. The Bay Area is filled with spectacular views that you should definitely witness.

Spending spring break in Berkeley isn’t a big deal. There is so much you can do and see that the week will fly by in a heartbeat. Have a wonderful, relaxing and jam-packed spring break, everyone!

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].

MARCH 03, 2020