BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 02, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Sophomore forward Jacobi Gordon announces transfer from Cal men's basketball program

MARCH 03, 2020

Cal sophomore forward Jacobi Gordon has announced that he will be leaving Cal and seeking a new college to play at, according to his personal Twitter account.

“While this is not easy, after many talks with my family and close relatives, I feel that it is in my best interest to seek other opportunities and interest as it relates to my basketball and academic career and the betterment of my future,” Gordon wrote in his tweet.

Gordon struggled with injuries in his career at Cal and hasn’t played a game since Jan. 2 when the Bears took on the Stanford Cardinal. On Jan. 30, in a postgame press conference, Cal head coach Mark Fox announced Gordon would be out indefinitely due to injury.

“Jacobi may not be back. He had a procedure done and he’s trying his best to be back,” Fox said in the press conference. “But I’m not hopeful it will be anytime in the next week to 10 days.”

In his campaign with the blue and gold, Gordon played 36 games, averaging 2.2 points in 9.7 minutes per contest. With Gordon leaving the program, the Bears now have two open scholarships as they continue to recruit their 2020 class.

Jack Whaley covers men’s basketball. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @_jackdouglas_.

MARCH 03, 2020