BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Berkeley police suspend investigation into officer-involved shooting

CESAR RUIZ | FILE

MARCH 04, 2020

The Berkeley Police Department, or BPD, suspended its investigation into an officer-involved shooting with an off-duty San Francisco Police Department, or SFPD, officer.

On Sept. 13, SFPD Officer Michael Shavers fired one round at a driver of a Honda Civic after the driver allegedly made a hand motion outside his window with what Shavers believed to be a gun, according to the BPD incident report. The driver of the vehicle has not been located, the report added.

The investigation was suspended because of a lack of any new or actionable information, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White.

“When we say that the case is suspended, it means that we’ve conducted an investigation and taken it as far as we can go,” White said. “In this particular case, absent the victim or something that was damaged by gunfire, we have nothing to go on. The nearby area was canvassed, officers talked to witnesses in the area and we even looked at nearby hospitals.”

None of the 12 individuals BPD officers contacted while canvassing a nearby homeless encampment reported seeing anything related to the incident, according to the report. If any new information was found in connection to the investigation, White added, it could be reopened at any time.

While it always remains possible that the investigation may resume, according to White, neither the driver nor other witnesses have come forward in the past few months.

“In this case, it’s been a few months since the incident took place and we found any new information, which means that there’s been plenty of time for witnesses to come forward as well,” White said. “We haven’t been able to get any more information on the other driver either. Since we haven’t seen anything and no one’s come forward since then, there isn’t much to go on right now.”

Contact Aditya Katewa at  or on Twitter

MARCH 04, 2020