74-year-old man stabbed on University Avenue, suspect arrested

Google/Courtesy

Update 3/11/2020: This article has been updated with more information from the Berkeley Police Department’s police log.

Update 3/11/2020: This article has been updated with additional information from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

Ogun Sefu Chidike Jumoke, 52, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and battery with serious bodily injury, after a stabbing occurred Sunday.

The incident occurred on the 1300 block of University Avenue, during which police responded to a report of two men fighting after the suspect saw the victim walking with a small dog. A witness tried to tackle the suspect, who allegedly bit him and left the scene.

About 8:30 p.m. Sunday, the victim, a 74-year-old Berkeley resident, was transported to a hospital with stab wounds to his torso, according to an email from the Berkeley Police Department. The witness, a 32-year-old Berkeley resident, was also transported to the hospital with a bite wound.

Sefu Chidike Jumoke was located shortly after on 10th Street and Delaware Street.

According to BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White, the victim is alive, as of Wednesday.

White said the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Sefu Chidike Jumoke on Wednesday with three counts and four enhancements, including attempted premeditated murder, making criminal threats and “assault with a deadly weapon by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury.” The charges were enhanced due to previous felony charges and the age of the 74-year-old victim, among other reasons.

Check back for updates.

Kate Finman is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.