Happy Popcorn Lover’s Day: A-maize-ing reasons why we think life is butter with popcorn

Flickr/Creative Commons

Happy Popcorn Lover’s Day! A staple for studying, movies, social gatherings and just about any occasion or event, popcorn is arguably one of the best creations of humankind. So, in honor of this poppin’ holiday, here are a couple of reasons why we at the Clog love this delightful, airy and versatile snack. 

The endless possibilities

Sugar? Check. Salt? You got it. Can’t decide between your sweet tooth and inner salt monster? Don’t fret, popcorn has your back. Diverse popcorn flavors can be found in grocery stores, at movie theaters and at sports games. Whether you like your popcorn tossed in salt and butter, prepared gourmet-style with herbs and cheese, drenched in chocolate and caramel or kettle-popped with both sugar and salt, the combinations are endless. With a nutty and flexible base flavor, there is probably a style of popcorn out there perfectly tailored to your taste buds’ needs. 

A healthy snack 

For those who are looking for a healthier snacking option but can’t give up that satisfying crunch, air-popped popcorn is the way to go! With only about 30 calories per cup, it has fewer than half the calories of a cup of regular potato chips. Popcorn is also low in sugar and fat, high in fiber and nutrient-dense. Many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin K and calcium, can be found in unsalted, air-popped popcorn. All of this means that popcorn will fill you up while providing you with protein, antioxidants and nutrition. Guilt-free snacking? Sign me up!

It’s gluten-free

If you’re following a gluten-free diet, you can still eat popcorn! Popcorn is naturally gluten-free, but sometimes facilities that make popcorn process foods with gluten as well. If you’re buying popcorn, remember to double-check with the manufacturer to be completely sure the popcorn is safe. Better yet, make your own popcorn at home!

A lot of bang (or should I say, pop) for your buck

As hungry college students, we love all food deals and steals. Popcorn is one of the most economic snacks you will ever come across. At about 19 cents per ounce of kernels, a single batch of popcorn costs less than a dollar to make! Since the kernels are so cheap, buying prepopped popcorn in stores is still relatively inexpensive compared to other snacks. 

Airy, sweet, salty, crunchy — the list goes on. Popcorn is a subtle yet integral part of snacking culture across all aspects of entertainment and comfort, and we at Clog love and appreciate the a-maize-ing contributions that popcorn has made to our lives.

Contact Kristie Lin at [email protected].