The Daily Californian announces changes to production cycle

Update 03/16/20: this story has been updated to reflect new information. 

Update 03/13/20: this story has been updated in light of UC Berkeley Chancellor Carol Christ’s announcement that remote instruction will continue through semester’s end. 

In light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the Daily Californian has been evaluating its options for continuing its normal operations during the coming weeks. 

In a decision made by its upper management team Monday morning, the Daily Californian will begin its summer production cycle by printing issues every Thursday for the foreseeable future, beginning with Thursday, March 19. One issue will also be released next Wednesday. 

While all of our content can be found online on our website, we will cease to continue printing on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays as we regularly do. 

The decision to forego our annual March Madness special issue and Cal Day special issue comes on the heels of the announcements that all Pac-12 conference play would be suspended and that Cal Day 2020, originally scheduled for April 18, has been canceled. A decision will be made regarding our annual Best of Berkeley special issue, currently scheduled for April 16, in the near future. 

“The Daily Cal will not maintain the exact same production cycle, but we will still be putting out content and information that is vital to the community,” managing editor Sakura Cannestra said. “In times like this when there are rapid pace changes to the health of the community, journalism is vital to make sure that the populous is as informed as possible.” 

We will provide updates to our readers as adjustments are made in our newsroom and appreciate patience from our audience. 

To obtain updates on the COVID-19 situation in Berkeley, please follow our live updates page.

Josh Yuen is the editor in chief and president. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.