UC Berkeley releases housing information as cancellation of in-person classes is extended

Nicole White/File

The Division of Student Affairs released an email Friday outlining housing guidelines for students after in-person classes were canceled for the rest of the semester to prevent the spread of COVID-19, colloquially known as the coronavirus.

The email stated that campus is supporting those students who choose to go home in the wake of in-person classes being canceled for the rest of the semester. Students who choose to stay will have a “safe and healthy living environment,” according to the email. Financial aid for housing will continue as planned for students who choose to stay in campus housing. It will be not be affected by students’ decisions to leave or remain on campus.

Students living in undergraduate campus housing will be able to stay until May 17, when their contract ends. The email added, however, that some residence halls may be closed and students remaining may be consolidated into fewer locations. According to the email, the campus is waiting for data on how many students will need campus housing before making further decisions.

Students who are no longer able to continue off-campus, part-time jobs because of COVID-19 are able to request a cost-of-attendance adjustment or emergency loan to account for their change in income. Students with campus and work-study jobs will receive accommodations from campus administration.

Current residents of campus housing who choose to leave Berkeley will receive a prorated refund without penalty, according to the email.

Graduate students and those living in family-student housing, like residents of University Village, must submit an “Intent to Vacate” form to Cal Housing. The deadline to do this is May 31. Students living in private housing must refer to their accommodations’ own policies.

The campus itself will remain open.

“We are empowering students to choose what works best for them,” said Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Stephen Sutton in the email.  “We recognize that leaving campus may not be possible for all students and we will work to ensure students remaining on campus will continue to be supported.”

Check here for live updates on the COVID-19 situation in Berkeley.

Contact Kate Finman and Thao Nguyen at [email protected].