Umami! What a wonderful word. It’s the essential savory flavor found in most meat and soy dishes, and the flavor can also be augmented with mushrooms. In honor of this amazing culinary element, here is a recipe for the most delicious umami-filled Bolognese you will ever try.
- A package of lean hamburger meat
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce (look for one without added sugar)
- ½ pint of mushrooms (baby bella mushrooms work great, but feel free to use your favorite variety)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of Trader Joe’s umami seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 cup of frozen veggies (peas, carrots, broccoli and spinach taste amazing in this dish!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Saute your spices, garlic and onion in the olive oil in a large pot for two to three minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Then, add in your hamburger meat and mushrooms, and cook on medium heat until the hamburger is fully cooked through. Next, add in your jar of marinara and simmer on low heat for at least one hour — the longer, the better to create the best slow-cooked flavor. When the Bolognese is within 15 minutes of being ready, add in your frozen veggies of choice and continue to simmer on low heat, then serve and dig in!
With this delicious beef and mushroom Bolognese, the sky is truly the limit! This decadent umami-filled sauce can be served ladled over your favorite pasta, rice or quinoa, with a grilled cheese sandwich or even as an alternative to marinara sauce in lasagna!
Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].