Spring break blues: The awkwardness of going home for breaks

Illustration of sad person looking out of window
Olivia Staser/Staff

We’re less than two weeks out from the infamous spring break. Nine beautiful days where we might have homework, but at least we don’t have to go to class, or log into Zoom! I know some people count down the days until they can go home for each break because either their close friends or significant others are still at home, or they don’t get overwhelmed by their families. I’m sure many other students on this campus can relate when I say I have neither of those things to look forward to at home.

The summer before coming to college, my friends and I were tight. We hung out and talked pretty often, you know, keeping up with each other as friends do. When we got to college, it sort of fizzled out. I tried to text them to show I still wanted to support them, but texting can only go so far. They were making new friends at their universities and paying attention to them. It’s rough fading into the background of someone’s life, but it’s out of my control.

Ultimately, dissolved friendships are not a big deal; it’s a part of growing up. It bothers me because now it’s awkward going home. Whenever I see a break is coming up, I get excited about going home, but then I have to think about what I’m going to do when I get there. Sure, I’ll have some homework, but I want to spend most of my time relaxing.

Everything I think of doing will warrant me calling someone up and asking if they want to go. A beach day, going out to eat, going on a hike or a bike ride, these are all things I love doing with other people. I wouldn’t want to be alone; I would look so strange.

Or maybe, just maybe, no one cares. I know, it just might be outlandish to think a bunch of strangers won’t care if you’re doing your thing alone in public, but it’s true. If you’re at home and have no friends, your breaks don’t have to be awkward. They can be your opportunity to not focus on your studies for once and focus on you. What do you like to do? Where do you want to go? It’s your time to explore yourself, and you can pick up a new hobby or finally go to the gym now that you have the time.

You don’t need to have friends to do fun things or go to beautiful places. It’s not a sad thing to explore the world by yourself. You might even discover that you’re pretty damn cool. How can that be awkward? It’s valuable! If you’re dreading spring break, there’s no need. It’s “you time,” baby.

Contact Özge Terzioğlu at [email protected].