Celebrate National Ravioli Day with this easy spinach ravioli recipe

wikimedia/Creative Commons

It’s National Ravioli Day, and there is no need to go out and spend more than $20 to enjoy the glory of this wonderful day. Of all the pasta dishes known to man, we would say ravioli is one of the fancier ones. But don’t let its elegant look fool you: It’s not as difficult to make as it seems. Save your money and practice social distancing by celebrating National Ravioli Day at home with this easy and scrumptious spinach ravioli recipe! You’ll be able to find a majority of the ingredients in your cupboard. The only ingredients you might not already have are spinach, Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese and your favorite red sauce.

Ingredients

Ravioli dough 

• 2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 ½ tablespoons of water

Spinach filling

• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 10 ounces of spinach
  • ½ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
  • ¾ cup of ricotta cheese
  • ¼ teaspoon of salt

Directions

In a large bowl, beat together the flour, salt, olive oil, eggs and water. Knead the dough until it’s firm and not too wet or sticky. Form the dough into a ball and cover it in plastic wrap. Allow it to sit at room temperature for about an hour.

In a pan, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the spinach and allow it to cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until it’s wilted. Once all the liquid evaporates, finely chop the cooked spinach and add it to a bowl with the Parmesan, ricotta and salt. Mix until it’s well combined.

After an hour of resting, roll out the ravioli dough into thin, paper-like sheets. Make sure to flour your work surface and hands to avoid the dough from sticking to any surfaces. Slice the dough into equal rectangular strips.

Take spoonfuls of the spinach filling and place them onto the rectangular sheets you made. The dollops of filling should be spaced about one inch away from each other and placed in the middle of the sheet. Once finished, cover it with another rectangular sheet of equal size and push around the filling to create a seal. Using a knife, cut out each individual raviolo. Double-check that each raviolo is tightly sealed. You may use a knife to create a fringed look around the edges.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in the ravioli. Allow them to cook for about 5 minutes and then drain them. Heat your favorite red sauce and pour it over your homemade spinach ravioli, and you’re done!

Enjoy your delicious homemade spinach ravioli this National Ravioli Day in the safety of your own home! Happy cooking, Golden Bears!

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].