Stuck on the bowl without a roll: The Clog’s alternatives to toilet paper

Celine Bellegarda/Staff

Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve seen many different strategies of coping with our new everyday reality: Some people stock up on nonperishable food, some people make an excessive number of TikToks and some people have chosen to stock up on toilet paper. Though the rest of the world has yet to figure out the reasoning behind this last choice, all we can do now is figure out ways to cope with the decisions made by others. Many stores have been forced to limit the amount of toilet paper that each customer can purchase. In case you find yourself in a pinch, we at the Clog have compiled a list of alternatives to toilet paper that you can use.

Tissues, napkins or paper towels

You probably already have at least one of these paper products at home, making this the easiest option and the most similar to actual toilet paper. The only difference is that these products cannot be flushed down your toilet, so be sure to throw them out.

Reusable toilet paper

It may sound slightly gross at first, but reusable toilet paper is a viable (and probably more environmentally-friendly!) solution. You can purchase products online or use old T-shirts and sheets that have been washed and cut into squares. As long as you keep it sanitary and wash them properly, you should be good to go!

Baby wipes

These also may be hard to come by in stores these days, but if you happen to have some lying around, they’ll make a great hygienic alternative to toilet paper. As we’ve said before, be sure to throw them out afterward!

Menstrual pads

As a last resort, menstrual pads will work as toilet paper as long as they’re disposed of afterward. Try not to get to this point, however, since they are pretty expensive! 

Hopefully, the toilet paper in stores will be replenished soon and people will start to only buy what they need. Though we sincerely hope that we never reach the point at which there is absolutely no toilet paper, it’s good to have a plan just in case!

Contact Beatrice Aronson at [email protected].