#MyPleaForDC campaign: The Daily Californian needs your help to sustain its operations

Joshua Jordan/Senior Staff

COVID-19, colloquially known as the coronavirus, has had an adverse effect on the world in a multitude of ways, most critically in the health sector, but notably on businesses as well. The Daily Californian is no exception to the financial adversity that COVID-19 has inflicted upon nonprofit organizations everywhere. 

While we have excelled in a variety of facets this fiscal year, we have struggled financially to keep pace with our annual budget that is required to keep our operations running as our readers and staff know it. We had a fantastic couple of months to start the calendar year, but COVID-19 has put us in a precarious spot for not just the remainder of this year, but for our future.

Our mission has been, and always will be, to cultivate a training ground to educate and provide valuable experience to student journalists, editors, managers and creators. We have a documented track record of covering some of the most notable events in the city of Berkeley’s history, along with the most significant developments in UC Berkeley’s decorated past.

As things stand now, we face an unprecedented challenge that cuts deeply into who we are and what we do. Our remaining resources are being drained by the day and we need your help. 

We have spearheaded a fundraising campaign with the theme #MyPleaForDC, which requires our staff members to share how The Daily Californian has helped them grow as leaders in their respective fields, and encourage friends and family to support our publication.

Please consider contributing to our organization’s ongoing fundraising efforts by donating to our Education Foundation. No amount is too small, and we appreciate your generosity and support.

Josh Yuen is the editor in chief and president. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.