Confirmed number of UC Berkeley students with COVID-19 rises to 7

Zainab Ali/File

Campus confirmed two new cases of COVID-19, colloquially known as the coronavirus, Wednesday, bringing the number of students who have tested positive up to seven.

Six of the seven students who have tested positive have returned from a study abroad program in Spain through the UC Education Abroad Program, including the two newest confirmed cases from Wednesday, according to campus’s COVID-19 update page. Two other undergraduate students from a Spanish study abroad program — one in Barcelona and one in Madrid — also returned home and tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, campus’s fourth and fifth cases.

According to the update page, one of those infected lives in the city of Berkeley and is being treated by University Health Services. They are self-isolating and in “good condition” and the individual was not on campus while symptomatic, according to the update page.

Another student is self-isolating outside of Alameda County.

The first two students who returned from Spain with COVID-19 had their cases confirmed by campus officials Sunday. The first confirmed student case was not affiliated with the study abroad program and was reported March 14.

The update page acknowledges that other students and campus members likely already have COVID-19 but other cases have not been confirmed.

Check here for live updates.

Kate Finman is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.