Suspects associated with homicide arrested, charged

Sam Albillo/File

On Thursday, the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged suspects associated with a recent homicide, according to a Nixle alert released Friday afternoon.

According to the alert, at about 12:20 p.m. March 20, officers responded to reports that a person had been shot near Chestnut Street and University Avenue. The victim, who was in his 20s and had been struck by the gunfire, was not revived despite the presence of fire department personnel.

Detectives eventually arrested a suspect, 52-year-old Hosea Askew, in the city of Richmond. Later, they arrested another suspect, 62-year-old Mercedes Askew, who allegedly had helped Hosea Askew avoid arrest.

The two suspects were charged Thursday by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office. Hosea Askew was charged with murder, willfully discharging a firearm at a motor vehicle and committing an assault with a firearm and other “criminal enhancements,” according to the alert.

Meanwhile, Mercedes Askew was charged with aiding a principal of a felony.

“The Berkeley Police Department takes great pride in keeping our community safe,” the alert states. “We appreciate the public’s support and are pleased that we were able to bring justice to those who wish to do harm to our community.”

Check back for updates.

Mallika Seshadri is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.