While circumstances other than COVID-19, colloquially known as coronavirus, almost seem inconsequential at this point, confirming the next elected officials into ASUC executive roles remains a priority for those who seek significant change. The student body needs dedicated advocates for student needs, especially in times of crisis and equally in times of relative peace. As a federal election looms beyond COVID-19 and the student body continues to face myriad other plights, it’s no secret that next year’s ASUC executives will have a lot of ground to cover.

The Daily Californian’s Editorial Board interviewed and researched every candidate running for an executive position, eager to hear each candidate’s platform and discuss who will be the best in supporting the student body through the rocky year ahead. Due to this year’s election timeline and external complications, such as the global pandemic, the editorial board was unable to dedicate the time necessary to examine ASUC senate candidates similarly. For similar reasons, the Daily Cal is unable to host the traditional ASUC executives forum this year.

As has been demonstrated many times, student advocacy is paramount during times of crisis. UC Berkeley students deserve leaders who can work to improve the status quo and calmly and quickly address emergencies. Here are the candidates who have won our vote. 

Vote in the ASUC elections here.

Victoria Vera for president 

The Daily Californian’s Editorial Board has seldom seen a candidate so apt for the ASUC presidency, but Victoria Vera shined among the rest, as she demonstrated her keen focus on fostering trust among the student body and uplifting marginalized students. 

Melvin Tangonan for executive vice president 

While Student Action candidate Melvin Tangonan is the most qualified candidate for the executive vice president position, his interview with The Daily Californian left plenty to be desired.

Derek Imai for external affairs vice president 

If elected, REBUILD candidate Derek Imai certainly has his work cut out for him, but his authenticity and previous experiences as an ASUC senator seem to have prepared him for the position. 

Nicole Anyanwu for academic affairs vice president 

While the campus works on responses to the crisis, Nicole Anyanwu has been fighting for mandatory Course Captures and has been a staunch supporter of A’s for All, or AFA, demonstrating her immense dedication to this position while still occupying her current role as a senator.

Joyce Huchin for student advocate 

As the student body’s public defender, the Student Advocate’s Office, or SAO, is tasked with supporting all students and student organizations, and no one is more qualified to lead this office than Joyce Huchin.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board as written by the spring 2020 opinion editor, Simmy Khetpal.

0