A heavenly, flourless hazelnut double chocolate chip cookie recipe

Kristie Lin/Staff

If you’re a lover of all things hazelnuts and chocolate, look no further! We at the Clog know just the cookie for you. Flourless, butter-free, lightly sweetened and made with whole hazelnuts, here’s a relatively guilt-free recipe for you to indulge your sweet tooth. 

Ingredients

• 2 cups raw hazelnuts (or about 1 cup of hazelnut or almond butter if you prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil 
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅔ cup cane sugar
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • ½ cup unsweetened cacao powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ cup dark chocolate baking chips
  • Coarse sea salt to sprinkle on top

Directions

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Evenly spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast them for 8-10 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Put the hazelnuts in a food processor or a blender and blend until they form into hazelnut butter. You may have to periodically pause to scrape down the sides of the machine. Blend until the butter becomes very creamy, and once it does, add the olive oil and salt. Blend for another 1-2 minutes. Once thoroughly blended, let the nut butter cool for at least 10 minutes. This is important because you don’t want to cook your egg when you add it in later.

Add the cane sugar, vanilla extract, egg and egg yolk into the blender. Blend until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and a dough begins to form. Then, add the cacao powder and blend. The mixture should start to look like a ball of dough. Don’t worry if it looks oily — it’s supposed to be! Transfer the dough into a medium-sized bowl and mix the dough until it’s well-combined. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Form the cookie dough into little balls. I like to use an ice cream scoop to help portion my dough. Remember to really squeeze the dough together so that the shape holds, especially since it can be a bit slippery from the hazelnut oil. Spread them out evenly on a baking sheet and flatten the dough with the palm of your hand. Sprinkle the cookies with coarse sea salt — pink Himalayan sea salt works great and adds a nice color — and bake them for 8-10 minutes. 

Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool and set on the cookie sheet for a few minutes. Serve warm and with milk, if you’d like! This recipe makes about 12 ice cream scoop-sized cookies. 

If you’re feeling blue, there’s nothing more comforting than a warm cookie on a slow day. With this easy recipe, you’ll be able to taste the heavenly layers of rich chocolatey goodness long after the first bite. Happy baking!

Contact Kristie Lin at [email protected].