Nicole Anyanwu for academic affairs vice president

The academic affairs vice president’s ability to devise pervasive solutions is being tested as academia must adapt to the global COVID-19 pandemic. While the campus works on responses to the crisis, Nicole Anyanwu has been fighting for mandatory Course Captures and has been a staunch supporter of A’s for All, or AFA, demonstrating her immense dedication to this position while still occupying her current role as a senator.

Anyanwu’s platforms show a clear focus on helping marginalized students reduce barriers to their educational experience, work that has also permeated Anyanwu’s time as a senator. She plans to support physical and mental health by advocating for disenfranchised groups on campus, further sedimenting her commitment to holistic wellness for all students. In an interview with The Daily Californian’s Editorial Board, Anyanwu also spoke about repealing California Proposition 209, which is a hindrance to academic accessibility for many marginalized communities.

As a former AAVP community outreach director, Anyanwu acknowledged the difficulties of working with the Academic Senate. If elected, she hopes to strengthen communication between the AAVP’s office and the Academic Senate by stressing the importance of committee members’ active and persistent involvement in policymaking, as well as choosing a diverse group of students to highlight the variety of perspectives on difficulties with the academic experience. She also plans to improve partnerships by repairing collaborations that have fallen through in the past.

On the other hand, DAAP/FIRE candidate Reilani Gervacio fell short in articulating concrete plans to represent the academic interests of the student body. Gervacio seemed to not understand what the AAVP position entailed, citing plans to best represent students but lacking direction on the position’s specific duties.

Anyanwu expressed a desire to move beyond what the AAVP’s office has accomplished in the past, and we hope she can carry these plans out in office. 

Vote Nicole Anyanwu for academic affairs vice president.

Editorial Board member Alex Jiménez recused herself from the interview and discussion of this endorsement due to her social relationship with Nicole Anyanwu.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board as written by the spring 2020 opinion editor, Simmy Khetpal.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Nicole Anyanwu has been fighting for mandatory Course Capture. In fact, Anyanwu wants to continue work on this as academic affairs vice president but has not been working on it as a senator.