UC Berkeley students as fish from Animal Crossing

Illustration of Cal student as Animal Crossing character
Rhea Dias/Staff

With nothing really left to do in quarantine, countless students are taking to their Nintendo Switches and playing the new Animal Crossing game. One of the amazing features of this game is that you can catch different species of fish! The variety of fish you can catch inspired us to capture the similar variety of students that go to UC Berkeley.

Clownfish

You thought you retired as class clown in high school, and for the most part, none of your friends give you a pity laugh for your jokes anymore. It’s the little things in life that have made you look inward and discover the fool within. For example, you think you muted your mic in Zoom, but in reality, the whole class could hear you munching on Cheetos during your 8 a.m. Also, who could forget that one time you thought it would be a great idea to sit in the front of Dwinelle 155 for that midterm, just to end up with a messed up desk for an hour. Last but not least, once, you sent a fire meme to your crush, but they didn’t text you back … ever.

Tuna

You are reliable and consistent in your efforts in everything. The only issue is that, in your mission to make everything efficient, such as when you calculated the quickest route from Southside to Soda when class got out early, you risk coming off as a bit bland to the Pufferfish and Zebra Turkeyfish in town. You are the kind of person who doesn’t bond with someone over preferring Tacos Sinaloa to La Burrita or being sad that the quarantine means you can’t hug the homies. There is at least comfort in knowing there are a lot of you chilling at UC Berkeley.

Sturgeon

You’re a showman to say the least. You have an affinity for joining any campus organization, even if you have no experience in anything. Your peers envy your ability to not fear public humiliation when you admit your taboo interests on the first day of class, or when you down an entire hot dog from Top Dog in less than 30 seconds. Your ferocity comes out unexpectedly, and can be a bit alarming. Despite what appears to be your seamless sense of control, one thing your friends never let you live down is your flakiness.

Oarfish

You kind of stick out in most situations you’re in, but it’s not for a reason you can necessarily control, which makes the situation a bit awkward at times. The great thing is that you’ve learned to embrace it. You draw in a particular crowd of friends that really love and respect you. You often say that your favorite part of UC Berkeley is its people. Ever since coming on campus, you have made it your personal mission to find yourself a sense of purpose. When Zoom instruction started, you found a weird comfort in being a recluse, almost as though it was natural. You occasionally deeply ache for the feeling of sun on your face as you lie on Memorial Glade, however.

Snapping Turtle

You have a lot of opinions about a lot of things, and sometimes you can see the fear in someone’s eyes as they cherry-pick a string of words that hopefully won’t set you off. You are a skeptic at heart, but one of your greatest assets is how fast you are in responding to people’s messages. You think people appreciate that. Though you can sometimes scare people away from having a second conversation because of your intensity, deep inside, you are a people-pleaser. Your true friends are the ones who can match your vigor and preparedness for spontaneous debate.

Whale Shark

You have a calming yet intimidating aura that surrounds you every time you enter a room. You often find yourself being surrounded by friends that are shorter and louder than you, but it’s nice because they keep you company. People have a lot of misplaced expectations for you, and you do your best to meet them, even though you know how ridiculous they are. You always have your video and mic off for Zoom calls, and your icon is just your first initial surrounded by a colorful box.

After going through dozens of fishing rods and 5,000 sea bass, you can’t help but feel a little sad for those of us who don’t have Switches. We guess the old adage is true, at least at UC Berkeley, that there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Contact Malvika Singhal at [email protected] .