BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 17, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

Family frenzy: How to not drive each other crazy while in quarantine

NIRVANA ELLABOUDY | STAFF

APRIL 07, 2020

With everyone homebound amid shelter-in-place directives and lockdowns, it seems like the entire world has come to a standstill. For our own safety and the safety of others, it is important that we take these rules seriously and stay home. But with your entire family at home, you might be at each other’s throats! The Clog has you covered with all the ways you can keep yourselves occupied and maintain your sanity.

Let everyone know when you have classes and meetings

Five minutes into your Zoom lecture, you hear your mother yelling your name from across the room. You ignore her, hoping she’d take the hint, but instead, she just yells louder. Or just when it’s time for you to virtually attend an important club meeting, you realize that every room is occupied by your parents and siblings. If this sounds all too familiar, it’s time for a family meeting. Devise a system wherein everyone keeps each other posted about work hours, meetings and calls so you can stay out of each other’s hair. This decision will go a long way in preventing further embarrassment.

Family game night

It’s time to finally get out those board games that have been collecting dust on your shelves for years. There’s nothing better than spending the evening playing Monopoly or Scrabble. If board games aren’t your cup of tea, get out a deck of cards or Uno for some old-fashioned fun.

Try your hand at cooking

You know those traditional age-old recipes that have “been in the family for generations”? There’s no better time than now to experiment in the kitchen and learn something new! It’ll also give you and your family something to do, so you won’t drive each other crazy with boredom!

Share household chores

With the whole family back together under the same roof 24/7, the house can get pretty messy. Do your part by sharing the household chores and, to make it even more fun, turn it into a cleaning party! Divide and conquer with each person doing different tasks, from washing the dishes and cleaning the counters to dusting and sweeping.

Get your daily dose of exercise

Not being able to go outside and move around can be dull, but this does not necessarily mean you have to be a couch potato either. It’s the perfect opportunity to play Just Dance Now and have a dance battle. Groove to the music as you challenge your family members. It’s the best way to get your blood flowing, all while having a good time!

Movie nights

Nothing screams “family bonding” more than a movie night. Furthermore, there’s no one stopping you from having one each night. Alternate turns picking out the movie and catch up on all the wonderful films you might have missed.

If you and your family members ever find yourself at a loss about what to do while stuck at home, this list provides tons of options for you to partake in. Being under one roof without much alone time can be challenging, but there are many fun and fulfilling ways you can pass the time.

Contact Nandita Radhakrishnan at [email protected].

APRIL 07, 2020