BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Brigit Mulder, Claire Sonne, Ruby Swadling earn All-MPSF Honors

KAREN CHOW | FILE

APRIL 08, 2020

While it’s difficult to find things to celebrate these days, three members of the Cal women’s water polo team have just been given reason to do so.

Ever-consistent junior Brigit Mulder was named to the All-MPSF first team, while fellow junior Claire Sonne and freshman Ruby Swadling earned honorable mentions. Swadling was also named to the All-Newcomer team.

While the 2020 women’s water polo season may have come to an abrupt end, one wouldn’t guess it from looking at Mulder’s season totals. Mulder’s consistency is perhaps best illustrated by the fact that she led the conference in points (goals and assists) and had at least two goals in 14 of the Bears’ 18 games.

Sonne and Swadling had standout seasons of their own. Sonne was a potent offensive threat throughout the season, racking up 25 goals and 19 assists. Swadling, meanwhile, led the team in steals and had emerged as a reliable force on the other end of the pool as well by season’s end.

The Bears finished their shortened 2020 campaign ranked No. 9 in the country.

Contact Ethan Moutes at 

APRIL 09, 2020