A DIY healthy Chipotle bowl recipe

flickr/Creative Commons

If you’re stuck at home and not able to do takeout, you might be missing some of your classic food options, like Chipotle. Luckily, Chipotle bowls are super easy to make at home and are completely customizable. We at the Clog have created a template for crafting a healthier take on your favorite Chipotle bowl. Here is what we recommend. 

The base

While I will be the first to admit rice is delicious, there are some other nutritious substitutes available. While brown rice is a good option, cauliflower rice is also a worthy substitution. It’s not only a good replacement in terms of texture and appearance, but it will also add even more nutritional value to your bowl. If you are really looking to match Chipotle even more, you can add thinly chopped cilantro to your rice to mimic the original bowl’s yummy base.

The protein

After adding your base to the bowl, next comes protein. Add meat, if you want, or your favorite plant-based option. Some healthy options for meat include grilled chicken or ground turkey. Tofu is perfect for plant-based eaters. To increase the flavor and Chipotle-feel of all the options, you can also cook your protein of choice in taco seasoning. Picking a more lean protein like one of these will definitely save you a lot of calories, if that’s what you’re looking for! But if you prefer steak, a leaner cut could also make a healthier substitution.

The sides

Add a lot of shredded lettuce to your bowl. This not only adds substance to your bowl but nutrients as well. Additionally, grill up some of your own fajita veggies for a colorful, filling and lower-calorie option. If you enjoy them, don’t forget to add black beans — they will give you fiber, which will help keep you full for longer, too.

The toppings 

As much as this hurts us to say, skip the guac. We know it’s not what you want to hear, but if you can’t have the real guac from Chipotle, it’s not worth it anyway! As for the sour cream, a healthier alternative is Greek yogurt. In terms of salsa, go nuts. If you use fresh tomatoes as salsa, it’s even better for you. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese on top, and you’re good to go!

We hope this helps you create a healthier version of your favorite Chipotle bowl while you’re stuck in quarantine. Enjoy, and stay healthy!

Contact Jackie Amendola at [email protected].