Stacey Wyatt announces resignation as Longfellow Middle School principal

Amanda Hart/File

Stacey Wyatt, Longfellow Middle School’s principal, has resigned and is expected to leave her position by the end of the academic year.

Wyatt and Berkeley Unified School District, or BUSD, Superintendent Brent Stephens both announced the resignation in emails sent March 11 and March 12, respectively, to the Longfellow community. Wyatt, however, declined to further comment on the resignation, citing the state of the coronavirus pandemic and her focus on preparing the next academic year for the incoming principal.

“For many reasons, I no longer believe my pace, practice, and beliefs align with the path that Longfellow is on,” Wyatt said in her resignation announcement email to the Longfellow community. “This work is work of partnership and cannot ever stand in truth if it is forced, no matter who is doing the forcing.”

Wyatt has been a principal at Longfellow since the 2018-19 school year. She received her bachelor’s degree in special education from Alabama State University and her master’s degrees in special education and educational leadership from California State University at San Jose, according to the Berkeley Public Schools website.

“We know she will be missed by Longfellow students and staff next year,” said BUSD spokesperson Trish McDermott in an email.

Former Rosa Parks Elementary principal Paco Furlan will be taking over the position for the 2020-21 academic year.

As principal of Rosa Parks Elementary from 2010-2019, Furlan oversaw the school’s environmental science and dual-immersion programs, as well as a regional autism program, and he implemented a schoolwide program for social-emotional learning, according to McDermott.

Wyatt still holds her role as principal of Longfellow Middle School until the end of the academic year, and she has played an active role in supporting Longfellow’s transition to distance learning, McDermott added.

In her email to the Longfellow community, Wyatt said she “excitedly” took on the position of principal and stayed at Longfellow due to the school’s diversity, its dedicated educators and the support of staff and parents. Wyatt added that the students are the best part of her work.

“I will miss everyone at Longfellow,” Wyatt said in the email. “I am a Bay Area girl, fo’ life, fo’ sho’, so I will be around. Thank you all for every lesson learned in my short time here. I wish the entire Longfellow community the best of luck and success in every effort it takes after my departure.”

Kaleo Mark is a schools and communities reporter. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @kaleomark_dc.