AC Transit alters passenger thresholds, encourages riders to wear masks in light of COVID-19

In order to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus, AC Transit announced altered passenger thresholds and encouraged riders to wear a mask.

AC Transit is continuing its operations, as it is considered essential. However, the bus system is implementing greater precautions and promoting social distancing. These practices will remain in effect until further notice, according to an AC Transit press release.

Now, up to six passengers will be allowed on AC Transit’s 30-foot feeder coaches, while a maximum of 10 people will be allowed on its standard coaches. Up to 16 passengers will now be permitted on its 60-foot articulated coaches, and its 44-foot double-decker coaches will now permit a maximum of 24 passengers.

Once a bus nears the passenger threshold, the operator can bypass stops, according to a press release. To notify those waiting for the bus, a sign will be shown reading “Drop-Off Only,” signaling that the bus will not stop for new passengers.

The operators will continue to recognize passengers’ requests to exit, however.

“AC Transit riders may experience trip delays and are asked to plan accordingly,” the press release reads. “It is important to note, on board safety is paramount and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.”

In light of social distancing guidelines, AC Transit is also strongly encouraging passengers to wear a cloth face mask that covers both their nose and mouth.

Bus operators will also continue to wear personal protective equipment such as gloves, masks and eyewear.

“While we augment safety practices, AC Transit reminds our riders to travel for essential trips only,” the press release reads. “When bus transit is necessary, kindly avoid buses displaying Drop-Off Only, always practice proper hand-washing, and strictly observe coughing and sneezing etiquette – by using one’s elbow or disposable tissue.”

Check here for live updates.

Mallika Seshadri is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.