Classy Cal Day boozy brunch recipes

shannon hong/Staff

College is not a super classy place. We often don’t have the opportunity to hold a nice margarita glass and wear a cocktail dress. It’s all red Solo Cups, sticky floors, makeshift disco balls and neighbors vomiting onto the plants at 3 a.m. 

Given that Cal Day cannot proceed as planned, I present these simple and classy boozy brunch recipes, dedicated to the class of 2020. 

Invite some friends on a Zoom call and whip up some (or all) of these recipes together. 

A frat mimosa (framosa) 

Let’s go right to the goods. Here’s a drink that will teleport you to your favorite frat house on Cal Day. 

Ingredients 

1 part chilled orange juice

1 part chilled champagne, prosecco or vodka mixed with Coors Light (for the authentic experience)

Directions

In a champagne glass, combine the orange juice and alcohol. Give it a nice stir and enjoy!

A blue and gold margarita

For a classier alternative, try this colorful concoction.

Ingredients

2 shots tequila

1 shot Blue Curaçao

1 shot fresh lime juice

Lime wedge

Salt

Orange slice (for garnish) 

Ice

Directions

Carefully run the flesh of the lime wedge against the rim of your margarita glass — if you don’t have a margarita glass, any glass cup will do! 

Pour a small amount of salt onto a shallow plate, one with a larger diameter than that of your glass. Tip the glass over so that the rim touches the salt. As you would with a cookie cutter, twist the glass around until the rim is salted. Set the glass aside for later. 

Pour the tequila, Blue Curaçao and lime juice into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Give it a couple shakes to combine the ingredients, and pour into the margarita glass. To garnish, top your drink with an orange slice. 

A good, old-fashioned crepe 

An easy, quick and satisfying brunch option. 

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 eggs

1⁄2 cup milk (or your substitute of choice)

1⁄2 cup water

1⁄2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 tablespoon oil

1 cup blueberries

Lots of whipped cream, Nutella or jam

Directions

In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, water and milk together. Gradually add the flour while stirring. Add the salt and butter, and whisk gratuitously. 

Heat a frying pan with the oil over medium-high heat. Pour 1⁄4 cup of batter onto your pan, and tilt the pan to form a circle of batter. Flip the crepe over with a spatula and cook the other side. If you’d like to add any melty ingredients such as Nutella, pour a bit on your crepe now. 

Transfer your crepe onto a plate and top with blueberries and your choice of whipped cream or jam.

A blue and gold salsa 

As you watch videos of frat parties from the glory days of pre-COVID-19 youth, here’s a super simple treat to satisfy all of your snacking pleasures. 

Ingredients

1 cup blueberries

1 cup diced mango

1 cup diced cucumber

1 jalapeno, diced

1⁄4 of a red onion, diced

1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

1 lime, juiced

1⁄2 of an orange, juiced

1⁄4 teaspoon salt

Tortilla chips (preferably both blue and gold chips)

Directions 

Combine the fruit and vegetables in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix together. Enjoy with some chips! 

As far as Cal Days go, senior year’s was supposed to be the most exciting — a trawl of old memories with old friends at old haunts. I can’t help but feel a tinge of sadness creeping up at these now-lost opportunities, but I’ll be Cal Day-ing anyway — on Zoom with some great friends. 

Contact Shannon Hong at [email protected] .