Cal football recruit allegedly involved in sexual harassment investigation in Washington

Eric Craypo/Courtesy

A recently published Seattle Times article shined light on sexual assault allegations from April 2018 against four Eastside Catholic High School football players, one whom is planning to attend Cal on a full scholarship.

According to the article, a then-16-year-old girl alleged that she had been sexually assaulted by four players while intoxicated in the bed of a moving pickup truck. Two other players — one from Eastside Catholic and one from Lake Washington High School — witnessed the alleged event.

All six high school football players claimed that the encounter was consensual, according to reports of the case.

The Seattle Times reported that the Clyde Hill Police Department conducted a “thorough and complete investigation,” according to one of the prosecutors, Emily Petersen. Ultimately, the King County Prosecutor’s Office elected not to file criminal charges, citing “insufficient evidence,” according to prosecuting attorney Dan Satterberg.

In January 2020, The Seattle Times filed a Public Records Act request for the correspondence records between the prosecutor’s office and the lawyers representing the families. The families of the players involved obtained a temporary injunction against the release of records, but the injunction was overturned with the provision that names and identifying information be redacted.

“We are aware of allegations outlined in a media report regarding an incident involving students at a Seattle-area high school and are working to gather additional information. Due to federal student privacy laws, the University is not permitted to share additional information,” said Cal Athletics in an official statement.

Stanford has rescinded its scholarship offer to one of the Eastside Catholic students, four-star cornerback Ayden Hector, who named himself as a witness in the alleged incident on Twitter.

Jasper Kenzo Sundeen is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].