BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

‘Dude, what’s on your 4/20 watchlist?’: A curation of stoner cinema

GRAMERCY PICTURES | COURTESY

APRIL 20, 2020

And here we are, April 20, 2020: the day stoners and psychedelic date-freaks have been pining over for decades. Ideally, one might have pictured spending this day sipping White Claws and snacking on space brownies in Dolores Park, or lazing around Memorial Glade with your bud and best buds while listening to a playlist specially made for this high-quality occasion.  

But instead, most of us will be spending the day going on socially distant walks to the corner store, where we will then wait 45 minutes in line to get a bag of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos and a canned AriZona iced tea. It’s not puff-puff-paradise, but we might as well make the most of it. To liven up your living room, press “play” on one of these masterfully absurd movies at exactly 4:20 p.m. (or a.m. if you’re that kind of degenerate) and immerse yourself in true stoner culture.

Nothing says “I consume marijuana” more than a classic cult film does. 

“Monty Python and the Holy Grail” (1975)

Get your coconut halves ready for clanking and enjoy a 4/20 experience that harkens back to the days of ye ole Camelot. While watching this movie, you may often find yourself wondering, “Is this … allowed?” But just remember, there are no rules with “Monty Python.” You can watch the opening credits and think you know what you’re getting yourself into, but just remember: It can only get better. Leave it to the Brits to field such highbrow humor, catered specifically to intellectuals who probably regularly experiment with psychedelics. The logic of the witch hunt, the Knights of the Round Table musical number and, of course, the møøse, all make for a completely worth-it watch or rewatch. At the end of the day, we’re all on a quest for the Holy Grail, aren’t we?

“Monty Python and the Holy Grail” is available to stream on Netflix.

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975)

Notice that this film was released the same year as our previous recommendation — we couldn’t tell you what was up with the mid-’70s, but we accept it. You could watch “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” once, twice, seven times, and something will always remain true: No one knows what’s going on in this movie. But that’s the sheer beauty of watching Tim Curry perform suggestive science experiments in full drag while an innocent Janet Weiss experiences sexual liberation; none of it needs to make sense to be freeing every time. You may not be watching from the cozy confines of your local theater on Halloween, like many normally do, but just because you’re watching inside your home doesn’t mean you can’t bust out the fishnet stockings and throw toilet paper at your screen (but not too much — that’s a hot commodity). 

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video for $3.99.

“The Big Lebowski” (1998)

Take this viewing opportunity to enhance your mixology skills: Combine light cream with some sharp Kahlua and a dash of vodka, and voila, a perfectly blended White Russian, just as The Dude likes them. Sit back with your fresh cocktail and gaze upon the mustached face of a young Jeff Bridges in this ’90s-defining film. If there’s anything a viewing of “The Big Lebowski” will do to you, it’s make you actually want to go bowling for the first time in years. Get nice and toasty before this watch, and universal truths will be revealed to you. Is that a promise? Absolutely not. And if you don’t like it? Well, you know, that’s just like, uh, your opinion, man.

“The Big Lebowski” is available to stream on Amazon Prime Video for $3.99.

Skylar De Paul is the deputy arts & entertainment editor. Contact her at [email protected]. Tweet her at @skylardepaul.

APRIL 20, 2020