Roll blunts you Bears: Activities for UC Berkeley students celebrating 4/20 during quarantine

Illustration of Oski rolling a joint
Nishali Naik/File

Despite the coronavirus pandemic, many stoners will still choose to honor 4/20 by getting as high as they normally would on this day, which may include some of you Bears. This year, however, is different from the rest as events cannot be held at places like Memorial Glade or Hippie Hill. To ensure everyone’s safety, this year’s festivities will have to take place inside.

Perhaps not as many people will participate in 4/20 activities this time around, but for those who do, you may have to indulge in a hotbox experience. Sure, you can open the windows or step outside, but since 4/20 is an event that lasts an entire day, there is a high chance that your space will get clouded to some degree. So, some of you UC Berkeley stoners might just go ahead and take this as an opportunity to fully embrace the hotbox in celebration of 4/20, shelter-in-place style. If you aren’t necessarily looking to only hotbox inside, however, you can find a list of suggestions for more ways to celebrate 4/20 this year below.

• Get lit in your backyard and pretend you’re at the Glade!
  • Light up with your friends on Zoom at 4:20 p.m.
  • Watch “Planet Earth” while high.
  • Get creative in the kitchen while you’re stoned.
  • If you have siblings around who enjoy getting lit, get lit with them and chill out.
  • Do something artsy with your paraphernalia (i.e., add stickers to your bong).
  • Exclusively listen to Snoop Dogg.
  • Watch “High Maintenance” and “Dazed and Confused.”
  • Puff, puff and then paint something.
  • Make a collage with past 4/20 pictures that you may have.
  • Write about what you miss most about celebrating 4/20 at places like Memorial Glade and send it to your friends.

While this may be a short list of suggestions, hopefully, it adds to your agenda of things to do this 4/20 if you were feeling a little stumped in these circumstances. As 4/20 is a school day, many of you will have class via Zoom. Lucky for you, you may be in the comfort of your own clouded space. That could be one smoky silver lining to having 4/20 inside this year!

Although many of you may miss the annual gathering at Memorial Glade, this year will go down in 4/20 history as a year like no other. So, stoners of UC Berkeley, try to make the best of it!

Contact Gina Wright [email protected].