CA Gov. Gavin Newsom introduces service initiative to increase community support

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

To bolster the state’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, California Gov. Gavin Newsom launched the #CaliforniansForAll service initiative Tuesday.

There has been an increased need for community and volunteer support because of the spread of the coronavirus. This initiative will help to connect California residents with volunteer opportunities, as well as encourage creative ways of making a difference, according to a press release.

“Across the state, Californians are asking how they can help their neighbors during this crisis and we want to channel that energy into our Californians For All service initiative,” Newsom said in the press release. “Whether it’s volunteering at a food bank to feed older Californians, blood drives or supporting local nonprofits, there’s no shortage of opportunities for Californians to step up and meet the moment.”

While the #CaliforniansForAll initiative looks to increase community support, it also recognizes the need to ensure Californians are still social distancing amid the shelter-in-place order.

The initiative will also focus on supporting those who are especially vulnerable and at higher risk, including people who are elderly. It will also aim to recruit younger individuals.

“Californians are united and there are no limits to our incredible creativity to help and support each other in this moment,” said California Chief Service Officer Josh Fryday in the press release. “California businesses, nonprofits and community organizations all play a vital role in the #CaliforniansForAll effort, and the residents of this state are stepping up when they are needed most.”

The initiative will partner with a series of nonprofit organizations, including the California Association of Food Banks, United Ways of California and the American Red Cross, among others.

In addition to supporting their communities, Californians will also be able to share their efforts on social media using #CaliforniansForAll.

“Californians across the state have been rising up to meet this moment and create a culture of me to WE,” said First Partner and honorary chair of California Volunteers Commission Jennifer Siebel Newsom. “I am proud that #CaliforniansForAll will enable even more Californians to engage in volunteerism, and help our communities get through this crisis together.”

Check here for live updates on the COVID-19 situation in Berkeley.

Mallika Seshadri is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SeshadriMallika.