Despite canceled Pro Day, Greg Thomas’ left leg holds out hope for more kicking

Sam Albillo/Senior Staff

While kicker Greg Thomas’ hometown of Petaluma is less than 40 miles from Berkeley, his journey to the Cal football program had its fair share of twists and turns — two uneventful years at Arizona State followed by a year of transition at City College of San Francisco. But when it was all said and done, Thomas earned the starting role at Cal for two seasons, making double-digit kicks each year and proving to be a serviceable kicker at the Division I level.

A canceled Pro Day means that the best evaluation of Thomas is his back-to-back years as the kicker for a team that often struggled to score points — not necessarily the best combination for an NFL longshot. After beating out Gabe Siemieniec in fall camp, the 5’9” Thomas pieced together a 12 for 17 performance with a long of 46 yards in 2018, his most notable performance on the road against Washington State.

While his senior numbers don’t reveal an improvement from a numbers standpoint, the Bears often struggled with the field goal unit as a collective, suffering two blocked kicks, at least two of which weren’t entirely Thomas’ fault. He hit 11 of his 17 kicks as a senior, but started off the year hot, accentuated by a three for three performance in Cal’s win over North Texas.

Perhaps the biggest moment of his career? A 17-yard kick to secure the Bears a memorable upset over Washington — at roughly 1 a.m., no less. And despite a trying middle of the season, Thomas nailed his career long of 49 yards against Stanford, a distance he’s likely hit from in practice before.

Thomas’ path to a professional career lies in potential tryouts with NFL squads. While the numbers don’t jump off the page, if he can hit from 50, he has a chance.

Josh Yuen is the editor in chief and president. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.