An introvert’s guide to being alone, for extroverts

Sunny Shen/Senior Staff

Social distancing is like an introvert’s paradise. Now, there is always an excuse to stay home and get out of plans with people. If you’re an extrovert, though, you’re probably having a difficult time. You’re probably not being used to being alone for long periods of time. So from the perspective of an introvert, here’s how you can avoid going crazy if you’re stuck at home alone.

Have distractions handy

An excellent way to avoid missing other people is to just keep yourself busy. Always have a distraction within arm’s reach and you should be good. An added bonus is that the distraction can be something you’ve always wanted to check out. That way, you can distract yourself from the fact you can’t hang out with your friends and enjoy something new at the same time.

Watch videos during meals

Meals can be quiet and isolated if you’re eating them alone. The best way to combat this? Watch a vlog or some other video where the creator is talking directly to the camera. That way, you can feel like you’re sharing a meal with somebody, even if that person can’t talk back to your questions. At the very least, it can act as a quick distraction during your meals.

Talk to people over the internet

If you really do need to talk with somebody, then texting or hitting up your friends is a must. It’s the social distancing-way to have a conversation. There are also programs where you can video call and talk while being able to see each other’s faces. So, if you feel like you are going crazy from the lack of socializing, ask your friends when they’re free for a group call.

Find enjoyment in being alone

An introvert knows there is something peaceful and beautiful about being alone. It’s often a quiet moment where you can do whatever you want. Try to be like an introvert and find what you enjoy in being alone. Maybe you can wear some silly clothes or watch the birds and people go by your window. Whatever it is, enjoy that small moment you have to yourself. After all, when this is over, who knows when you’ll get another chance to have a peaceful moment.

Social distancing can be difficult. Hopefully, these tips will help you cope with your more isolated life.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .