Feeling snacky? Try this recipe for pigs in a pretzel blanket

Flickr/Creative Commons

This coming week we have the privilege of celebrating two of my absolute favorite foods. That’s right, April 24 is National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day and April 26 is National Pretzel Day! What better way to celebrate them then to make a recipe that beautifully combines the two: pigs in a pretzel blanket. Get ready to elevate this delicious finger food to the next level with these pretzel-wrapped little hotdogs.

Ingredients

• 16 mini hotdogs or 2 whole hotdogs cut into 16 pieces
  • 1 sheet of puff pastry 
  • ⅔ cup baking soda
  • 1 egg 
  • Water 
  • Salt (large sea salt is best)
  • Dipping sauce of your choice 

Directions

1. Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Follow the thawing instructions on the packaging of your puff pastry. When the sheet is thawed, cut down its pre-marked lines into three smaller columns.
  3. Next, cut the puff pastry into thin triangles. Start at the top left corner of your first column and cut diagonally. From that new corner, cut across horizontally to create the triangles. Repeat with the other two puff pastry columns.
  4. Pour 10 cups of water and your baking soda into a large pot. Set this on a high heat and bring it to a boil.
  5. While you’re waiting for the water to boil, wrap your mini hotdogs in the puff pastry. Lay a triangle of puff pastry out and place the mini hotdog on top, making sure it is on the thick side. Roll it up, put to the side and repeat until all are rolled.
  6. Once your water is boiling, use either a spoon with holes in it or tongs to dip each puff pastry-rolled hot dog into the boiling water. Hold it in the water for five seconds and then place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all have been dipped.
  7. Now, crack your egg into a bowl, add a tablespoon of water and whisk it. Brush this egg wash onto each mini wrapped hotdog and then sprinkle each with sea salt. You can also add other flavorings if you want, such as everything bagel seasoning.
  8. Once they are salted, put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on the crisp you want on the pretzel.
  9. Dip in your favorite sauce and enjoy!

We hope you make this recipe in celebration of these two wonderful foods coming together! Happy National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day and National Pretzel Day!

Contact Jackie Amendola at [email protected].