UC Berkeley College of Engineering ranked 3rd nationwide

Celine Bellegarda/Staff

The latest U.S. News and World Report survey ranked the UC Berkeley College of Engineering third nationwide out of more than 200 graduate engineering schools March 17.

All of the specialty schools within the College of Engineering, including the department of bioengineering, the department of civil and environmental engineering and the department of electrical engineering and computer sciences, were also ranked within the top five in their respective fields.

“It’s a testament to the excellence of our faculty, students and staff,” said Mark Stacey, chair of the civil and environmental engineering department. “That culture of connecting the world-leading research to the classroom is what sets us apart.”

According to the U.S. News and World Report website, school rankings factor in data from four categories: quality assessment, student selectivity, faculty resources and research.

Sanjay Kumar, a campus professor and the bioengineering department chair, said the campus’s rankings indicate that its peers think highly of the work the campus is doing.

“Being an international student, Berkeley’s ranking is super important because I’m spending so much money to come here,” said Anvita Nigam, communications director of UC Berkeley’s Engineering Student Council. “There’s so many good schools, so rankings really help set us apart.”

Nigam added that these high rankings reflect the flexibility of these programs, as well as the opportunities and support engineering students receive from faculty, advisers and other students.

Kumar said he is excited about the results, adding that while they reflect the stature and impact that these departments have, what matters most is not this year’s rankings, but the general trend of the departments.

“The important thing is the trajectory,” Kumar said. “A fluctuation of one or two points from one year to another is hard to pinpoint. What you like to see is a consistent trend over several years.”

Tsu-Jae King Liu, dean of the College of Engineering, said in an email that the College of Engineering’s ranking has improved in five programs — bioengineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, materials engineering and nuclear engineering — in the past year.

According to Liu, another good indicator of a successful program is alumni who are leaders in their respective fields.

“In recent years we have led our peers in recruitment and retention of outstanding new faculty members who value diversity and promote equity and inclusion,” Liu said in the email. “This is key to maximizing the creativity and impact of our innovations, and to ensuring that our graduates become inclusive leaders so that all members of our global society can thrive in a safe, secure and sustainable world that is increasingly dependent on engineered devices, processes and systems.”

Contact Megha Krishnan at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @_meghakrishnan_