Chancellor Carol Christ reaffirms support for undocumented individuals, offers resources

Kavya Narendra Babu/File

Campus reaffirmed its support for the undocumented community through a campuswide email Monday, offering resources for those with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, status and other undocumented individuals.

The email was sent by UC Berkeley Chancellor Carol Christ, who reassured students and staff in the email that campus remains committed to creating a “welcoming, supportive, and inclusive space” for all. She added that the federal government historically has not engaged in immigration enforcement activity on higher education campuses.

Christ directed students in the email to the Undocumented Student Program and staff to Employee Assistance or People and Culture for further resources regarding enforcement. She added that the Undocumented Student Program will also communicate with impacted communities should federal immigration officials enter campus for non-enforcement activities.

“Every member of the UC Berkeley community is a valuable contributor to the university, regardless of immigration status,” Christ said in the email. “Maintaining a safe and open learning community can be difficult when individuals feel anxious about what is happening around them. Because of that, I want to encourage all of us to be mindful and respectful of each other during this time.”

Kate Finman is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.