Kimchi buchimgae: A flipping fantastic Korean pancakes recipe

Kelly Fong/Staff

Quarantine is really bringing the chef out in all of us. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, kimchi buchimgae, also popularly known as kimchi pancakes, are made with kimchi, flour batter and other assorted ingredients. Variations of buchimgae include vegetables and other types of protein, but for our recipe, we’ve just included kimchi. Feel free to add your favorite veggies and proteins when making these kimchi pancakes! They’re extremely easy to make and can be made with ingredients you probably already have sitting at home.

The only tricky part of this recipe is flipping the pancake. Your first time trying out this recipe may result in deformed pancakes, but with practice, you’ll nail it!

Ingredients

• 1 cup sliced kimchi
  • 2 green onion stems
  • ½ teaspoon sugar
  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 large spoonful Korean hot pepper paste (optional)
  • Oil (for greasing purposes)

Directions

Kelly Fong/Staff

1. On a cutting board, chop up the kimchi and green onion into small pieces and place them in a medium bowl.

2. Pour about two spoonfuls of kimchi juice into the bowl and add the sugar, flour and water.

Kelly Fong/Staff

3. If you would like the pancakes to be more flavorful, we highly recommend you add a large spoonful of hot pepper paste (or as much as you want).

4. Over medium heat, coat a nonstick 12-inch skillet with oil. Allow the pan to heat up and then add in the batter.

Kelly Fong/Staff

5. Spread the batter around evenly to form a large circle. Then cook for about 3-4 minutes or until it’s golden brown. Using a large spatula (or two), flip the pancake over.

6. Add additional oil to the perimeter of the pancake and allow it to run underneath the pancake. Move the pancake around by gently shaking the pan and allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes or until it’s golden brown. And you’re done!

We hope you have a blast cooking and devouring these delicious pancakes. You’re going to come out of quarantine a master chef.

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].