BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 30, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Four members of Cal women’s water polo selected as All-Americans

JOANNE CHUANG | FILE

APRIL 30, 2020

The season may have been short, but accolades continue to roll in for the Cal women’s water polo team.

After earning All-MPSF honors, juniors Brigit Mulder and Claire Sonne were named to the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches All-American first and third team, respectively. Neither selection should come as a surprise given that Mulder led the MPSF with 59 points and Sonne finished tied for fourth in the conference in assists while accumulating 25 goals.

Senior center Hannah DeRose, meanwhile, was named an honorable mention. DeRose flourished this year, serving as a potent third option in the Bears’ offense. Despite this season being eight games shorter than the 2019 campaign, DeRose had 18 goals — just one less the previous year.

Joining DeRose as an honorable mention is junior goalkeeper Cassidy Ball, who led the conference in saves. Ball was the Bears’ anchor on defense and she played exceedingly well, especially given that it was just her first season as a starter.

Ethan Moutes covers women’s water polo. Contact him at [email protected].

APRIL 30, 2020