How being like a Jedi can help you at UC Berkeley

Lucasfilm/Courtesy

Many a kid has dreamed of growing up to be a Jedi Knight. Jedi Knights are the heroes of “Star Wars” who have superpowers, lightsabers and are pretty cool. Now, as a college student, that kind of dream might seem like a total fantasy. However, acting like a Jedi can help you as a student, even if you can’t use the Force. Here are some lessons from the Jedi that you can use to thrive at UC Berkeley.

Let go of attachments

A key tenant of Jedi philosophy is to be unattached. The Jedi have a general compassion for the galaxy, rather than love for a specific person. The point of this philosophy is to avoid getting hurt, angry or jealous. As a student, you can apply this philosophy to your grades. Don’t be too attached to any particular class grade. Try to do well, but don’t get mad or lament if one turns out poorly. Maybe then, your grades will be less stressful and make you angry less often.

Meditate

One activity Jedi do frequently is meditating. It is their way of connecting to the Force, and it often lets them get away from their current situations. You may not be able to connect to the Force, but meditation is still useful. Meditating can help you feel less stuck and give you a better perspective on things. So, if you feel stressed or like you’ve hit a wall, try to meditate with an app, a video or even by yourself. You might just achieve the calm of the Jedi.

Keep calm in the face of adversity

One of the cool things about Jedi is how they confront problems. Often they are calm and logical in their actions. This is something a UC Berkeley student can learn from and implement. Try not to freak out when you are presented with a new problem. Instead, keep a calm head and do one thing at a time. If you do, you’ll be acting like a Jedi in no time.

Try to make the world better for others

Jedi Knights are the keepers of peace. They act in ways to make the galaxy more peaceful and equitable, like how Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi helped the people of Naboo break free from a crippling blockade. You can help make this world better in small ways too. Be kind to your fellow students and help them if they ask for it. Or clean your room, so your roommates don’t have to walk over your clothes. Whatever it is, try to take action to make this world a better place, just like a Jedi would.

Hopefully, these tips will help you live like a Jedi and make UC Berkeley just a little easier. May the Force be with you, always.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .