The emotional roller coaster of staying indoors during quarantine

Illustration of three bears in varying stages of emotional stress
Willow Yang/File

Staying indoors for long periods of time can be an emotional ride. It can be stressful, then relaxing, then boring and so on, until the day finally comes to an end. In a way, it’s like riding a roller coaster of your own emotions. It’s good to be able to recognize these feelings to help you better handle your indoor isolation. So, here are some emotions that mirror the features of riding a roller coaster to help you better understand and recognize them. Who doesn’t love a good roller-coaster ride?

The hill: stressed

Many roller coasters start with a long hill up to the first drop. The ride up the hill can often conjure a feeling of mounting dread. You might feel a similar kind of fear during a day inside, most likely at the beginning of your day. You’re worried about what might happen or if you’ll be able to get everything done, and this causes stress. This kind of stress might also be caused by news about the pandemic, so maybe try to keep away from the news if you start to feel too anxious.

The loop: loopy

Staying indoors for so long can make it hard to tell the days apart. Time will blend together, which can almost make you feel like you don’t know which way is up — kind of like going through a loop on a roller coaster. Usually, once you’re doing something else, the feeling passes. It’s much like how a roller-coaster loop is over quickly; you can get your bearings again.

The drop: elated

Sometimes the most exhilarating part of a roller coaster is the drop. You’re just out of control with the wind whipping through your hair, and you’re flying across the track. It’s a rush similar to getting into a groove and having time rush past you. Before you realize it, hours have gone by, like going down a drop that ends in the blink of an eye. It’s a good feeling, but don’t feel too sad that it’s gone. Instead, try to use your momentum to do other things. Try mimicking how the energy from a drop carries you through the rest of the roller coaster.

The corkscrew: overwhelmed and disoriented

A corkscrew is like a loop, but a little different and a lot longer. It’s often a series of 360-degree twists one after another. If a loop can make you feel a little disoriented, then a corkscrew is the more serious version. It’s like the feeling of the days blending together so much that everything seems to happen at once. There’s no time to get your bearings because there is always something else causing a new twist. You’re disoriented because you are overwhelmed, so try to slow down, take a deep breath and remember which way is up. If you can’t do that, remember that a corkscrew doesn’t make up the entire roller coaster. It will pass.

Hopefully, this list has given you a handle on your emotions during quarantine. So sit back, raise your hands in the air and try to enjoy the ride.

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .