UC Berkeley administration prepares for multiple fall scenarios

Memorial Glade UC Berkeley
Brian Bi/File

Campus administration is preparing for multiple potential modes of fall instruction in light of the uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a campuswide email from UC Berkeley Chancellor Carol Christ.

According to Christ, the campus’s consideration process is “wide-ranging” and “deepening” as campus recruits more members into the decision-making, which prioritizes protecting people’s health. She added that the campus will make key decisions regarding fall instruction in mid-June.

The email outlines three potential scenarios being planned for: one with full remote instruction, a restricted yet in-person semester and a fall semester in which activity returns largely to normal while accommodating those unable or unwilling to return to campus.

Nine campus committees, led by various campus administration members and leaders, have been formed to plan for different aspects of the three scenarios, including housing and dining, athletics and financial planning.

“It is indeed a challenging and uncertain time, and we have been so grateful for your commitment, as well as your patience and flexibility,” Christ said in the email. “What makes Berkeley Berkeley is not just our physical campus, our history, or our traditions … above all else, it is our community.”

Kate Finman is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.