Bears add 2nd grad transfer this offseason with Makale Foreman

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Stony Brook point guard Makale Foreman has announced that he will play as a graduate transfer next season for the Cal men’s basketball team. The 6’1″ guard led the Seawolves in minutes and assists last season while averaging 15.6 points per game.

Hailing from Tennessee, Foreman played for two years at Chattanooga and started every game his sophomore season while averaging 10.2 points. He then transferred to Stony Brook and redshirted his junior year, but is immediately eligible to play for the Bears, joining fellow grad transfer guard Ryan Betley from Penn.

Foreman adds much-needed perimeter shooting to the Cal team, and while he only shot 36.5% from the field last season, he was an excellent 3-point shooter and hit them at a 36% clip on 289 attempts. Behind rising sophomore Joel Brown, Foreman will be the second point guard for the Bears as Jarred Hyder, a guard who transferred to Cal after his freshman year at Fresno State, is not eligible to play next season.

After Jacobi Gordon and Juhwan Harris-Dyson announced they were transferring from the team earlier this season, Cal needed players to round out its squad, and it appears it has found a group of experienced transfers to fill the program’s needs. With the graduation of veteran guard Paris Austin, Foreman and Betley can help take some pressure off of Matt Bradley and create plenty of shooting opportunities this season.

Trilok Reddy covers men’s basketball. Contact him at [email protected].